[TenTec] OT: Field Day Drill

John jh.graves at verizon.net
Fri Jul 20 08:30:43 PDT 2012

Stuart,

It sounds like we have similar stories here.  For better or worse (at
least for now) we are using 4 sections Rohn 25 for our tower. When we
were doing 3 or 4 of these, we acquired tilting bases (which we hang
onto like they are our children) and pin the bases with 4 ft lengths of
rebar.    So far (really) we have been able to walk up the tower part
way and slide an  homebuilt a-frame support underneath the tower.  This
puts the top of the tower just high enough that we can mount the beam
pointing straight up (Here in Massachusetts we just figure west is best
- HI).  Stepladders become very handy for this stage. We don't use
rotors as they seem to cost more in play time than we what we would gain
in contacts. We originally pulled them upright with a truck and a block
and tackle. The past two years we have a member with a winch running on
12 V that we used, and that has made the job easier (and probably quicker)

The gain is not in setup time.  We never seem to lack for help at
setup.  But, as I'm sure you know, at takedown, it is a different story
altogether.  Oh yes, We use a 50 ft push up mast (although this year we
only went up 40 ft) and mount the 40 and 80 inverted v's 90 Degrees apart.

With the tri-plexer, that gives us an antenna for each of the contest
bands.  Just to be fair, I am just reporting this.  I can't take credit
for the layout or support choices, although I did make the A-frame
supports.

PS  When you walk up a 50 ft mast, it does get a little, or maybe a lot
wiggly.  This is where you need kids that think this is a neat thing to do.

73,

John / WA1JG