[TenTec] TT 580 Delta

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sat Jul 21 07:51:29 PDT 2012

Al,

OK, well then my assumption was wrong, so EVERYONE PLEASE DISREGARD MY
COMMENTS REGARDING THE 580.
Thanks for the correction.
I never owned the Delta, as I said, I assumed it was similar to the Argosy
because they look identical.

The 40m BCI problem was not just with the Argosy.
It was with at least 30 different rigs I owned, including Omni VI+ and a
loaner Omni VII.
The K2 was really troubled with this.
The only rig which did not have much problem with it was the Orion, although
on a full size 3 element monoband Yagi up 100 ft., it too had BCI problems,
especially when pointing east... but only a little.  Nowhere near as bad as
ALL other rigs.
I modified every transceiver I ever owned to except an external preselector.
I usually used a very good Braun preselector.
Better yet was my own home brew preselector because it is tunable and has
much narrower bandpass than the Braun.

ALL rigs struggle here because of the powerful European Shortwave Broadcast
Stations.
This has been a major discussion theme for as long as I've lived in Germany
(40 years) and the problem is older than that.

In the states you hear a few of the stations at night, sometimes 20 over 9.
Here they peg the S meter.  Used to be 20 or 30 of them in or near the band.
Luckily they all moved out of the ham band a couple of years ago.

Anyone who claims an OM7 is practically as good as an Orion (or Eagle)
should come to Europe and try them all on a large, high 40m antenna.  There
is a huge difference.  Add a preselector to the OM7 and the problem goes
away.  That's why Ten-Tec provisioned the OM7 for using with an external
preselector.

In the states, you won't see this difference.
(Now you have an excuse to visit Europe (hi)).

73
Rick, DJ0IP