[TenTec] Rsc value for LM723 in 280/255 power supplies?

Mike Bryce prosolar at sssnet.com
Sun Jun 3 10:58:43 PDT 2012

pete,

the .68 ohm resistor does in fact monitor current, but not the total current from the supply.

the value is not critical in this application. I've used various low ohm resistors with no adverse effect.

however, if you were to take the output side of the .68 and tie it to the Vsense line, then you'd have a niffy little power supply and in this configuration, the value of .68 would in fact set the current for this application.

to compute the value for the current limiting resistor, use this formula

Ilimit = Vsense/Rsc

the way Ten Tec has it wired, the .68 monitors base current to the two pass transistors. but the current limit of the supply is set by the combined values of R3, R4, R5, and R6; all .15 ohms. as in most linear supplies that use several pass transistors, these resistors also balance the load to the transistors.

The engineer that designed this supply took a rather unique direction as some circuits of the model 280 are differently odd when compared to a standard 723 power supply.

mike, wb8vge