[TenTec] Strange FD RFI

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 25 20:53:06 PDT 2012

Hi Al,

Maybe apples and organges and may not be! I'm at a loss.

We used a standard, old-fashioned rotary AC alternator, probably 8-10
kW or so. It's not a DC-AC inverter type, so I expect that it makes a
real sine wave, though I readily admit that didn't put a scope on it to look.

The other rigs were a mix of linear and switcher supplies. They
didn't cause me any problems and the particular rig that caused me
grief didn't seem to cause them any trouble. At least, I never heard
of any. You're right though: since the '1000D uses a switcher it may
make lots of hash under a heavy load and very little under light
load. That possibility hadn't occurred to me. Whatever it was, it was nasty!

Kim N5OP