[TenTec] Strange FD RFI

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 25 21:12:59 PDT 2012

You're right, Bob. As far as I know, this is a standard rotary AC
alternator so doesn't do any inverting to get to the AC. As such, I
expect (but didn't verify) it makes a more-or-less sine wave-ish
output, but I have not looked at it. None of the other rigs seemed to
suffer, which is what perplexes me. It's an 8-10 kW generator. When
we looked at it with an analog meter, we didn't see much fluctuation,
though we did see some.

Curiously, whenever another rig (with an external PS of unknown type)
was used in the SSB position, I had no troubles. It was the FT1000D
with an internal supply that caused me problems. My position also
hosted the digital station. We shared the same antenna through an
antenna switch so when I took a break, someone could man a PSK31
position. I think that one was also an FT1000-type but had a Yaesu
external PS that looked too small to be linear. It suffered no
problems when the other '1000D with the internal supply was going full tilt.

The PS capacitors in my '930S are original and I have new ones with
which to replace them. The ones that serve the 28.5 V side are each
22000 uF (there are two). The power supply does not get hot, the
regulation looks good, and there's no AC on the transmitter output.
So, while these are indeed old they seem to be doing the job.
However, I have new ones and will replace the old ones ASAP. I figure
I'm running on luck right now.

I guess that I simply encountered something new on FD. Whatever it
was, it was a unique combination of things that happened to make the
linear supply in the 930S very unhappy. I also have an old KC Keyer
that I have kept going and can't imagine CW without. It uses a linear
wall-wart supply and it also showed signs of unhappiness, having
locked up a few times. Once on the UPS, though, it never had a
hiccup. Leave it to FD to find weak spots -- which is a good part of
what the exercise is meant to do.

One good thing about the UPS was that when the generator had to shut
down for refueling, I didn't! I was the only one there on a UPS,
which was really pretty cool... "Wait a minute! Why is he still going?!"

Kim N5OP