[TenTec] Just a 'foot-in-mouth' observation

Jim Lowman jmlowman at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 26 10:11:17 PDT 2012

Well, Bob, as someone else mentioned, the original intent of Field Day was
more like SET.  But, how many hams turn out for SET these days  (the
question is rhetorical; I have no idea) versus Field Day?

The Field Day of today has become part contest and part social event.
Whichever is the larger percentage is determined by the makeup of the group.

Another question is whether people would be as anxious to turn up for Field
Day if it were more like SET (again, rhetorical).  For me, it's the
premier group
event of the year and I look forward to it very much.  I've been active
in Field
Day since I got my General-class license in 1966.

The ARRL can play semantics and say that it's not a contest, but if
points are
earned are scores are published in QST...well...if it looks like a duck,
walks like
a duck and quacks like a duck...

Do we take anything away from the experience?  Sure!  Those who copy the
Field Day message from ARRL at least see what traffic looks like, even
if they
don't participate in traffic-handling nets.  Those who work CW likely
improve
their speed and accuracy.  Everyone learns to get accurate copy under
less-than-ideal conditions.  Maybe someone who is a prospective amateur
will have the incentive to become licensed, or someone will be inspired to
upgrade, or a phone operator might become interested in CW.  One YL who
is the daughter of one of our longtime operators decided that it was fun in
a prior year, and went on to become licensed.  She was our secret weapon
on phone this year.

I've always tended to affiliate with clubs that put in an intensive effort.
Often there would be a meeting of the operators and club officers for a
debriefing.  We would discuss problems encountered and lessons learned.
Like any good team, we would strive to improve next year, with our eye on
the #1 place in our class or section.

To each his own fun and learning experience on Field Day!

73 de Jim - AD6CW