[TenTec] Just a 'foot-in-mouth' observation

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Jun 27 09:40:54 PDT 2012

On 6/27/2012 5:05 AM, Richards wrote:

>    It is unfortunate the ARRL modeled its Field Day
>     assessment scheme in the style and fashion of a major
>     contest.  That seems to have transformed Field Day
>     from a nationwide training exercise into more of
>     a contest.

The so-called "transformation" of which you speak occurred more than 56
years ago -- it was definitely a contest in 1956. And if it isn't a
contest, why are there double POINTS for CW contacts, why is there a 5X
POINT multiplier for QRP with emergency power, why are there bonus
POINTS for satellite contacts, POINTS for contact with the public,
POINTS for visits by public officials, and POINTS for press coverage?
If it's not a contest, why is there POINT credit for the GOTA station?
If it's not a contest, why is there a "free" VHF/UHF station whose
POINTS are also added to the score?  Isn't it obvious that you
accumulate more POINTS if you have better antennas, a better location,
antennas separated from each other so that you can have multiple
transmitters on the air at once (and more guys operating at once), and
better operating skills?

The only things about these SCORING rules that have changed over the
years have been in some of the bonus points, the addition of the GOTA
station, and the free VHF/UHF station.  These are all great changes --
they further the objectives of bringing new people into the hobby, they
encourage existing hams to learn more both operationally and
technically, and they encourage us to educate the public about what
we're doing.

May I remind one and all that bandwidth is bloody expensive, and we've
got a lot of prime real estate. The only real justifications for that
are our ability to contribute during emergencies and the extent to which
ham radio contributes to technical education and innovation.  It damn
sure isn't about rag chewing or DX chasing -- we get to do those fun
things ONLY because lawmakers and the FCC believe that we do those
public service things. .

73, Jim K9YC