[TenTec] Ten Tec noise blanker recommendations

John af5cc at fidmail.com
Sat Mar 10 20:21:55 PST 2012

I am suffering from some rather bad noise on 17m (the worst band for it)
and on other bands from
time to time. I am working on trying to eliminate it at its source, but
there is a limit to what one can do. So, I am thinking of trying to pick up
an older HF rig that will be as quiet as possible. Here are my thoughts on
what I want:

1. Solid State
2. Ham bands only (better, tighter band pass filters)
3. Non-synthesized-no phase noise
4. Good noise blanker that takes out line noise and other electronic crud
5. $400 or less

What might be the best Ten Tec rig to fit with these criteria? It sounds
like the Triton IV
has a really quiet receiver and a very good noise blanker, and I like the
look of the rig, but I
would also like something with the WARC bands on it.  It appears that the
Delta, Omni C, Corsair (both models)
and Omni V would all fit these criteria, but the Omni V might be a little
out of the budget.  How is the NB on
each of these?  Any other rigs to think about?

John AF5CC