[TenTec] Ten Tec noise blanker recommendations

Lee WA3FIY wa3fiy at radioadv.com
Sun Mar 11 16:03:34 PDT 2012

Here's my view on your question John.

Argosy - The Argosy, at least the later Argosy and all Argosy II's have a great noise blanker
from my experience.  Had terrible power line noise for several years and during that time my
favorite rigs were the Argosy and the Triton IV.  Of course the Triton is out because it does
not have any WARC bands and the Argosy has only 30 meters.  The down side of the Argosy
is the lack of RF gain control.   There is a mod to install one.  I got around it by putting a 18db
attenuator in line between the t/r switching circuit and the RF board.  Switched it in and out
with the push pull power switch on the volume control.

Early Corsair - I'm not sure about the original Corsair as I only had (and still have) a C II.  As I
recall, when first got my C II, an early serial number unit, it had a very good noise blanker.
However, at that time we had trouble with the Russian Woodpecker radar pulses and
conventional noise blankers were not very effective.  Ten-Tec sent an upgraded noise
blanker board to registered owners of the C II of which I was one.  I swapped boards and the
new one worked better with the woodpecker.  BUT it did not work very well on other noise.

This all from memory so take it for what it's worth.   Anyone else get the upgrade noise
blanker board from TT?  Please jump in and give us your experience.

73,

-Lee-

WA3FIY