[TenTec] Centurion Amplifier history

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Wed Mar 14 15:19:10 PDT 2012

"It's no Alpha".... thank gosh.

Alpha, Acom, OM-Power, etc., all of these have extensive protection
circuitry and they have problems with their protection circuitry ALL the
time.

ESPECIALLY when trying to run them in full break in, you will often see "ARC
FAULT" (ACOM) or similar messages from the others.

Before someone comes back with their love story about their own "one
amplifier", let me say that my opinion is based on the experience of or
contest club with about 400 members and over 100 of these "modern"
amplifiers.

I'll take an amplifier with one or two 3-500z any day over these modern
finicky amps!

73
Rick, DJ0IP

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces at contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces at contesting.com]
On Behalf Of k0bx at arrl.net
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:10 PM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion Amplifier history

I got my Centurion about 4 years ago used off of QTH.COM.  I paid $1300 for
it. The build date was 1996.  I have not  had a lick of problems with it.
It still has the Emiac tubes in it.  I still get 1300 watts output with 100
watts input.

To get this amp, I sold my Drake L7 amp.  The Drake was more heavy duty, but
the TR switch was too slow for my IC-756PROIII.  The Drake L7 served me for
a lot of years.

The Centurion has great break-in CW.  I key the Amp and the Amp keys
the rig. No more hot-switching.

Ten-Tec still has the old manual on their website.  I guess there has not
been any changes for year except for the paint.
It is no Alpha, but it pretty close.

Joe K0BX
 Stop the insanity!
Please do not add me to any distribution lists (Joke, Stories or Junk)
without my permission.