[TenTec] Centurion Amplifier history

jack jfriend31 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 15 17:39:39 PDT 2012

years ago when Eimac was here in SLC, Utah, I visited the place a few times.
Vern Campbell and Irwis Isgitt were two hams I knew there. Vern was in
charge of testing the 3- series of tubes at the time. he would drive a
3-500Z with another 3-500Z to see how long it would last--and did the same
with the 3-1000Z and the 4-1000A. he told me when such tubes became gassy
and a customer sent them back, he would put them on the burner and run them
red hot for at least 24 hours to burn off the gases, then send the tube back
to the client.

he said the Eimac tubes were "getters" made to run hot!

jack
ak7o