[TenTec] Using an Argosy in the Field

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Wed Mar 28 08:22:25 PDT 2012

My favorite plan for a portable field antenna is...

	Push up sections of fiberglass mast.   At the top, you
	have a feed point for two opposing dipoles - each
	element of which is set 90 degrees from the next,
	adjacent elements, respectively.  Measure these
	for the two bands you want to work most... and add
	sufficient rope to the end so the construct is both
	antenna and guy line.  Stake the lines with camping
	tent stakes.

	Pound a short piece of water pipe (which is just
	larger in inside diameter than the mast) into the
	ground as a base that keeps the bottom of the
	mast from moving about.  It does not have to be
	deep, just deep enough to keep the mast from
	squiggling about - you can pull it up easily when
	you move on.     Another solution when using
	hollow masts, is to pound a short rod or pipe
	which has an outside diameter less then the
	inside diameter of the mast tubing, and that
	will keep it from sliding about.   A little electrical
	or duct tape will serve to minimize abrasion.

	The four elements of the dipoles serve as radiators
	and guy lines, and if it is not really windy, this
	is sufficient to hold the whole thing together.
	Otherwise a second set of guy lines can be used,
	maybe just 3 more, if you mast is rally tall and
	it gets a bit windy out.

	A telescoping mast with its own quick release
	fasteners often folds down to a single 36-48 inch
	item for traveling.   Roll up the wire elements
	separately, pick up your base rod or pipe, and
	move out when HQ gives the order to bug out.

I have friends using this design for monthly QRP field days during the
summer months.  This will be a full sized dipole, and way more efficient
than a BuddyPole, also probably twice as high in the air.