[TenTec] TEN-TEC shack photos [flat braid; antenna switch]

Gene Story - Earthlink gfstory at earthlink.net
Wed May 2 23:57:22 PDT 2012

My picture does not show where the braid connects and others might like to know the rest of the story.  I am definitely interested in feedback.

While I want to insure optimum path for a potential lightning hit, I did have some worries that bonding these switches directly to my station ground would be more of a hinderance as a ground loop path.  Presently that large flat braid goes to a small bar with two automotive spark plugs threaded on it.  The tip-caps of these spark plugs connect to my station ground.

The idea is that I have not set myself up with a potential ground loop, rather I have a high impedance situation with the spark plug gap under normal circumstances.  An abnormally high energy situation may jump the plug-gaps, in the hopes of shunting what could otherwise be damaging to equipment through other paths.

I admit not having enough theoretical background to know if what I assembled is a sound idea.  I put this together because the parts were at-hand/easily fabricated, and this went together in a jiffy. But in the interests of performing reasonable protection for equipment and operator inside the station, have I set myself up for more negative than positive results with the spark gap?  And if this is plausible, would it be better for each switch to have individual (direct or spark-gapped) paths as I have with each piece on the desktop back which is patterned after Bob McGraw's recommendations for grounding?

Gene  /  K7TXO