[TenTec] Thanks Mike

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 13 21:13:05 PDT 2012

I think that you did get some useful information to pass on to your
friend. The most useful is that this will be no walk in the park.
Your friend must be meticulous and methodical and be prepared to
spend a lot of time on this project if they really transmitted into
the receiver front end with much power. They may get lucky: maybe
something acted like a fuse and prevented damage from getting too far
and maybe it didn't. You did get some good advice about what to check
first and where to start checking. Your friend will need, as a
minimum, a complete schematic with knowledge of the radio's theory of
operation, a good scope, probably a signal generator, and maybe the
equivalent of a good VTVM.

If your friend is unable to dedicate the time or feels like they
don't have the trouble shooting experience or knowledge needed to
take on a "project" radio, which this has now surely become, they
really should box it up and send it to TT for an evaluation.

In short: there is no easy, straightforward way out of this. Stuff
like this is relatively rare  and on a par with low-end lightning
damage, so there is no cookbook answer to what might have been destroyed.

Kim N5OP