[TenTec] Foot in my mouth...

wade staggs tvman1954 at gmail.com
Tue May 15 05:39:34 PDT 2012

Rick, you are 100% absolutely correct on all counts. I have been calling
the Tennessee Phone Net for about 2 years on Wednesday nights. Some really
good radios have sounded lousy for a long time, the folks running them have
the Mic Gain and Processor Gain set for Maximum Smoke. Then there are the
stations who are doing things correctly even with the Economy Rigs. Just
because a fellow can afford to own a radio, the price of which would buy me
a decent car. That does not mean that he knows how to operate it correctly.
You are looking at a Poor Man here, 585 Paragon and a Heathkit SB-200 Amp.
My settings for calling the net are as follows .... Input power to the Amp
is between 35 and 40 watts on peaks. Of course the Plate Current of the Amp
is dipped at minimum and hopefully loaded correctly. The Heathkit SB-200 is
about the same as a Collins 30l1 in design ( or so I have been told ) The
Mic Gain is set with the scope on the Dummy Load so that with a really loud
HELLO into the Mic there is no flat topping and then the gain is reduced
until the Wattage/Waveform is reduced by about 20 to 25% overall. This give
me about 300 to 325 watts from the Amp and never any complaints. Should or
is there a better way to do this? The processor button on my radio has
enough dust on it to plant a garden. Every time it gets turned on people go
ballistic on me! .................... Paragon or Corsair is about the best
my budget can muster, I would love to own one of the new 200 watt radios
with 48 volt finals and Class A capabilities but, I don't see that
happening in my life time. Don't get upset over thinking out loud as your
thoughts and opinion are yours for the saying. My belief is that some of
the old elmers need to speak out when an overly wide/loud station comes on
the air. If, you ever hear my station sounding Nasty? Please tell me. Now
if I could just get checked in to the 20 meter Ten Tec Net some Sunday, my
world would be much happier. Maybe, tuning for Maximum Smoke would help?
>From our apartment the only antenna allowed is a Multi band Doublet cut for
80 with ladder line feed. A good Yagi would help.
                          73 de KJ4WS