[TenTec] Foot in my mouth...

Al Gulseth wb5jnc at centurytel.net
Tue May 15 06:18:19 PDT 2012

Rick,

As far as I'm concerned, no apology is needed. You're causing others to "think
outside the box" and hopefully helping everyone involved to eventually find a
realistic solution. (BTW I wish the FCC _would_ actually enforce Part 15
standards for consumer electronics. I recently did a little power supply
experimenting with my old Argonaut: I made a coaxial power connector to RCA
adapter and tried a couple of small switching power supplies. The first was a
12V 1250 ma "wall wart" which had a small gauge zip cord cable, and the
second was a 12V 4.16A "brick" which used a standard computer-type IEC power
cord and had a coaxial output cable with a ferrite choke "bump" molded on the
cable a couple of inches from the connector. Needless to say, there was a
stark contrast: the "wall wart" totally wiped out any possible reception.
The "brick", on the other hand, produced only low-level noise and possibly a
few "birdies" (which seemed to be coming from the PS enclosure itself as the
noise level went up if I touched the enclosure.) The bottom line is that it
wasn't so bad that it couldn't be used for casual operating in my opinion.
(My comparison "standard" for the test to determine what was coming from the
power supply and what was coming from elsewhere was a battery.) This just
goes to show that the issues we're discussing can be overcome with decent
engineering and manufacturing practices!)

Also, in a previoust post, you said:

<snip> I honestly think people here don't realize that there are some rigs on
the market today that nobody can generate a clean signal with....  I will
pick out some screen shots and send to you.  Then maybe you'll understand why
I am so passionate on this.<snip>

I'd like to encourage you to not just send those screenshots to one person but
rather to post them to a website or maybe even make them into a YouTube video
(since that's where things seem to go "viral".) Maybe if more people see your
work it will help raise awareness of the issue.

TNX/73, Al