[TenTec] Omni VII Filters

Paul DeWitte k9ot at yousq.net
Wed May 16 04:50:52 PDT 2012

I recently bought a used Omni VII from TT.I got both the 500 and 300hz
filters.

I had an Omni VI+ for several years, and then an Orion for about 6 months.

The Orion had the best receiver, but I did not care for its ergonomics. So
it went.

Now I have the Omni VII which I like very much. Very good receive audio.
Much better than the Omni VI+ on SSB, of which I do very little.

I had the Inrad 600hz roofing filter in the Omni VI+, and in a contest it
was great.

I do not feel that the Omni VII has as sharp of filtering as the Omni VI+
had, and definately not as sharp as the Orion. This is just a gut feeling
with no A/B testing. I will have a chance to try it out in the WPX CW
contest to get a better opinion.

As for what filters to buy for James, I would buy at least one or the other
to start with.

Even in casual ragchewing you sometimes get some guy that moves in and
starts calling CQ while you are in QSO with someone. So a filter plus PBT is
nice to have.

The Omni VII is not at the top of the list on receiver performance but so
far it meets my needs.

Just my observations and opinion (for what it is worth).

Paul K9OT