[TenTec] Omni VII Filters

d.e.warnick at comcast.net d.e.warnick at comcast.net
Wed May 16 08:54:24 PDT 2012

I agree, Rick. I have both the Orion II & the Omni VII. The Omni is a very intuitive rig to operate. Plug it in & use it. The Orion II is a wonderful rig. I use it daily, and the Omni gets very little use. The reason for that is that if I am ever to get the most out of the Orion, I must master it and that takes time & practice. I probably would not have many fewer points in contests (I'm more than casual, but not viral ) if  I had never owned the Orion. However, there ma y have been some entities missed in my DXCC chase (I have 300+) if it were not for the ability to dig a new one out of the mud with chaos all around, & that's the rea l forte' of the Orion.

I've got two Omni VI+'s gathering dust. They're full blown with 600 Hz roofing filters and mostly Int'l Rad filters in the IF's. Outstanding rigs, but I've fallen in love with the Omni VII & the Orion II. BTW, the reason I chose the Omni over an Eagle (still want one to play with someday) is the availability of the remote tuning knob. I like my rigs raised above the operating desk (you can see that on QRZ.com) and the convenience of a tuning knob to the left of my keyboard with my paddle & key to the right can't be overstated for my personal style of operating.

Yes, it is the ANTENNA. A good antenna on a mid-range receiver will beat a mediocre antenna on a great receiver.

It is very cool to read what others use & their reasoning for it. As has been said on this reflector many times, there is no right choice for everybody

Good DX & good rag-chewing

73

Dave

WA3F