[TenTec] Omni VII Filters

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Wed May 16 16:14:37 PDT 2012

On 5/16/2012 8:58 AM, Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP wrote:

> The one place where the OM7 will be at a disadvantage is if you are trying
> to use it at a multi-multi station where you have at least 6 max legal power
> stations on the air simultaneously from a location the size of a football
> field,

		I disagree based on experience.    We run  2
		Omni VIIs, an Orion II, an Omni VI, all in the same
		room, and it is someone using a K3s that complain !
		For some contests, the phone guys are in one place,
		and the CW guys are 300 yards away on a big hill
		in a field and the guys with the Elecraft gear complain
		about intermod, not the TT guys.   (I hope this does NOT
		start a sub-thread about TT v Elecraft...)

		Of course you gotta use passband filters, and stay off
		the same antenna ...    ;-)   ...  but I 	have NEVER
		had intermod, interference, of any RF on my anything
		under such extreme conditions.

		Shoot, Rick... it might be better than you think !   ;-)

> Don't tell anyone I said this, but I even like it a wee bit better than my
> Eagle, but the Eagle has other advantages - size, weight, and simplicity.

		YES - The design team at TenTec obviously thought
		about what to put on the Eagle and what not to ...
		trying not to obsolete any of the other products in
		the line.  I prefer the Omni VII over the Eagle because
		it has more stuff on it... such as a receive only
		antenna jack,  two transceive antenna jacks, etc.,
		but the Eagle presents a high performance option,
		at a lower price for guys who don't want all that
		extra jazz.

		I have considered using an Eagle as a "second receiver"
		for the Omni VII, and letting Carl's N4PY Pegasus
		control program integrate the two as one - so I could
		use the band scope display for the Eagle to work as
		a panadatper for the Omni VII - click on it scope, and
		both rigs tune to the same frequency.   Cool.   I use
		a TT RX-320D for that now, but the Eagle would be
		way better I think.

		One of our Lunch Bunch guys is older than the sun,
		and sometimes talks about getting out of ham radio
		because it seems to be getting too complicated for
		him -- so I keep recommending the Eagle because I
		think it would be a huge performer, but a much
		easier rig to run than the rest of the crop.  He could
		easily take it to Florida when he goes down for the
		Winter.   Stubborn old coot... but he is a great guy!
		     ;-)

> *The exception would only be a top notch 160m operator with great antennas
> in a 160m contest.  The rest of the time, the rest of the contests, the
> operator makes far more difference that the tiny bit of difference in the
> radios.

		We used an Omni VII to work the CQ WW
		contest... and came in 1st in Michigan... 1st in
		Section 8...  Fifth in US... 7th in North America...
		and the only guys to beat us were all on the East
		Coast with a slightly better shot at EU multipliers.
		So, I am not worried about using the Omni VII in
		a 160 meter contest.

> In my books, the Omni VII is the best all-around radio on the planet today
> for 98% of all hams.

		That might be a slight exaggeration... the real
		figures is closer to 95% of all hams...       ;-)