[TenTec] Top receivers

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Wed May 16 22:09:26 PDT 2012

On 5/16/2012 10:42 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

> With some receivers it certainly does, especially those that are power
> or supply voltage limited.  BUT -- I like to think that I know the
> difference between my ham rig and my home entertainment system.

	I KNOW I know the difference, and kinda resent
	the sarcastic implication...             ;-)

> FWIW, for ham radio at home, headphones have ALWAYS been my primary mode
> of operation.   I use a loudspeaker only for casual listening.

	ME TOO... in fact I am a huge headphone / headset
	junkie.   I am blessed in that my XYL does not whine
	about me spending money on stuff... including another
	headset.    We both use the best wireless headphones
	for listening to old time radios shows - the sound never
	alters no matter where we roam throughout the place.
	Makes raiding the fridge safe - we never miss any of
	the show even though we leave the room.

	My preference on headsets is also related to the fact
	the microphone is always a close talking type, which
	stays put in the same place, no matter how far back
	from the desk I lean, or whether I turn my head
	from side to side, etc.   A close-talking microphone
	tends to be more noise rejecting  (I don't like the
	term noise cancelling... but that is another topic
	for another day....)

Every
> radio I've ever owned has had quite adequate drive for headphones.  On
> the other hand, a mobile radio, including a talkie, needs enough audio
> to get over ambient noise, and many of these rigs don't.

> 10% distortion is a standard spec for industrial paging systems.

	I suspect this tends to reinforce my point...
		I think...     ;-)

> 10% distortion is a standard spec for industrial paging systems.
That's  the distortion at the peak of the signal just below clip,
and is typical of many computer sound cards.

	Geeze...are you sure about that ?

	I have been testing sound cards 	and microphones for
	speech recognition companies since 1992... and no sound
	card 	I ever used was rated at  10% THD.

	Typical specifications for cards in my machine might
	look like this:

	Output THD+N at 1kHz (Front-out) : 	 <0.0025 %(-92 dB)
	Input THD+N at 1kHz :			<0.0022 %(-93 dB)

	Even the venerable old Creative Soundblaster Audio PCI 16
	had numbers like this back in the 1990s :

	Signal to Noise Ratio: 90 db
	Total Harmonic Distortion @ 1 Vrms (10 KOhm load): 0.01%

	I cannot address the rest of the post, as I am embarrassed
	to admit I don't follow how it relates to the topic of ham
	radio audio ...  sorry.