[TenTec] Radial Research

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Fri May 18 14:18:15 PDT 2012

Clearly Rudi has done the most extensive work to date and his information is
invaluable but not infallible.
We are dealing with RF, you know.
There are times when it just doesn't work like it should.

I would encourage everyone interested in verticals to read his excellent
papers.
Actually for most of us, the summery of his work that was in QST about 2
years ago is information enough.
In about 2 more weeks it will be available online, along with everything
else, as ARRL ramps up its Electronic QST program.

After reading his study, read what else can also happen, especially on or
near salt water.
Read how sometimes things do not work as they theoretically should, pay a
visit to the "Team Vertical" web site.
Specifically take a look at "Lessons Learned"  (lesson #2 and #3).
See: http://www.k2kw.com/verticals/learning.html

Bottom line: when all else fails, you sometimes have to use elevated
radials.

73
Rick, DJ0IP