[TenTec] RFI Issues

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon May 21 12:09:11 PDT 2012

On 5/19/2012 4:24 PM, Jim WA9YSD wrote:
> To be with in NFPA, NEC you can make a common mode choke by slipping some beads around the electrical ground connecting to the station ground as long as you do not wind the electrical grounding conductor into a coil to make a choke. This will separate the station ground and electrical ground so as not to create a ground loop.. Exception to the rule.

NO, NO, NO, NO!  First, beads do virtually NOTHING below 100 MHz or so.
Second, adding a choke that DID do anything would violate NEC because
NEC requires a LOW IMPEDANCE bond.  Lightning is NOT a DC event, it is
an impulse with a fast rise time, which makes it an RF event.  Thus, to
satisfy NEC, the bonding of grounds must be a low impedance to at least
5 MHz.

As to a "tuned" or shielded ground -- pure BS.

Sorry for the late reply -- I'm en route home from Dayton.

73, Jim K9YC