[TenTec] gas on the fire

John jh.graves at verizon.net
Mon May 21 14:56:04 PDT 2012

My experience is as a self taught student still learning about how the
NEC models work and I am also trying to move from EXNEC to 4NEC2.  What
I am really trying to say here  is that if someone else sees anything
incorrect, I know I am on somewhat shakey ground, so please feel free to
correct me.

When the NEC program is opened, one of the first tasks is the wires
(antenna) definition.  This is done on 3 axis's (X, Y, and Z as
Vertical).   The wires definition allows the definition on all 3  axis,
so an antenna can be defined as lying on (extending for some distance
along) the X axis and be some amount  of height (defined in meters, feet
or wavelength) above ground on the Z axis.    This places the antenna,
either vertical or horizontal, the defined distance above ground (which
is also definable.) As the height above ground is increased, changes in
the pattern diagram will show changes (plus or minus) in the takeoff
angle.  This would seem to indicate that NEC is sensitive to ground
changes which can include height among others.  Although I have not done
any extensive exercises, I believe that the program will also be
sensitive to the ground conditions (why make ground definable if there
is no sensitivity) as well as showing the effect of defined ground
planes or radial fields.

I hope this helps and provides some insight into your question.

John / WA1JG