[TenTec] Radial Research

Stuart Rohre rohre at arlut.utexas.edu
Mon May 21 16:27:10 PDT 2012

James,
In addition to the two books you mentioned, it would be good to get the
publications by L. B. Cebik from his memorial web site:  www.cebik.com

He has technical papers on many antenna topics.  He writes at a very
readable level.  (He taught for many years).

Don't get too hung up by SWR.  All power is eventually radiated even
after reflections, minus cable losses.  The 43 foot antenna is just a
concept of a compromise length that with matching networks can be used
on a variety of bands.

You can transform less than perfect impedance matches when close to each
other in magnitude, with low loss, or accept the slight mismatch of 55
ohms vs. 50 ohm typical feed coax.

The other essential to understanding antennas is "Reflections III" by
Walter Maxwell, W2DU.  Even his first version on web is very
instructive.  You may need to read it more than once.

Actually, I belong to the school of thought you cannot have too many
antenna books.  Each one usually gives me some extra concept or way of
looking at things which increases understanding.

I think some of the conceptual instruction by John Kraus, W8JK, in
"Antennas" 2nd Ed. is inspired.  He first clarified for me the concept
of how antenna radiation happens.  Something that was a great hand
waving mystery when first encountered early in my ham life.

Everyone has their favorite antenna books.  Errors creep into the ones
oriented in presenting how to build antenna X.  But, Kraus for example
has endured as a classic text.

73,
Stuart Rohre
K5KVH