[TenTec] Scout: Sidetone on SSB transmit

Stuart Rohre rohre at arlut.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 21 21:19:25 EST 2012

The only hole in the bottom should be a small hole over the power
adjustment trim pot.  Look carefully at the wiring opposite those holes,
same for the back panel hole.

Now, it is possible to get a RF feedback, and maybe that is what you are
hearing.  To check for this make sure you coax jumper is good, (well
grounded to the connectors) at each end, then use a dummy load and see
if you still have a tone on SSB.  If it is only when connected to a
tuner and antenna, it is RF feedback.  I had that a couple of times due
to bad coax jumper I only used at Field Day!  Finally made the
connection (no pun intended) and got a good short coax to connect to the
tuner.

You could plug up the one inch holes with Aluminum tape available at
Home Center stores like Home Depot.  It is used with insulation board
that goes under siding, to seal joints.

GL,
Stuart Rohre
K5KVH