[TenTec] Hercules 444

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Nov 27 15:49:34 EST 2012

On 11/26/2012 10:29 AM, Jimmy O. Floyd wrote:
> I have a Hercules 444 that is showing an I/V fault.

Hi Jimmy,

I sold my 444 several years ago, and hadn't used it for several years
before that.  BUT -- when I bought it, it was set for 120V and I
re-wired it for 240V. It worked fine (although there was a wiring error
I had to fix), but the higher line voltage improved the line voltage
regulation, and as the power supply heated up, the 50V supply drifted
upwards. One of the things that the power supply monitors is that 50V
supply, and if it gets too high, protection kicks in.

At the time I ran into this (around 2004, I'd guess) someone sent me
some ideas about how to do some circuit fixes. I didn't do them --
instead, I put a muffin fan on the power supply, which reduced the
heating, and I had no issues after that.

I can only offer this as a possible clue. :)

Another thing that happens when rigs sit for a while is that
electrolytic caps dry out and or short.

73, Jim K9YC