[TenTec] Hercules II Problem

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Oct 2 23:37:11 EDT 2012

On 10/2/2012 7:56 PM, John Farler wrote:
> But I hooked the amp itself to an 80 amp MFJ Switcher through
> the mobile cable.  The amp worked in that it amplified the
> signal with good out and fidelity

Many Herc II owners, me included, have never owned the Ten Tec power
supply.  For a while, I used a pair of Astron 70A supplies with their
control voltages bused together. That worked fine, but they are HEAVY!
Several years ago, I loaned my Herc II to a friend who wanted an amp for
a DX trip. He returned it with a 100A industrial quality switching power
supply that he had bought for it.  I haven't used the Astrons since. :)

I just packed the Herc II to take it on an expedition to Tehama county
(near Red Bluff, about 200 miles N of San Francisco)  for the California
QSO Party this weekend.  If you work NI6T, you'll be working Garry
(NI6T), me, N3ZZ, K6MI, or W6GJB. The rigs will be 3 K3s, driving that
Herc II and a couple of KPA500s.

CQP is a fun weekend.  Part of the contest is attempting to work all 58
CA counties, and every year several dozen hams do that. Some counties
are quite remote, with no hams living there, but the major CA contest
clubs make a serious effort to make sure that every county has a serious
QSO party operation.

And, if that isn't enough, you'll get a Worked All California Counties
certificate if you work them all during the contest and turn in your
log!  No need to send cards. Dennis, W1UE, has managed to work all the
counties in the first six hours of the contest, and worked all of them
from Jamaica last year.

73, Jim K9YC