[TenTec] Dipole Over Pool Enclosure

Wade Staggs tvman1954 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 11:27:00 EDT 2012

*Several years ago upon moving my stuff in with my Beautiful Brenda, ( now
a General Class KK4CJG ).... I had no permission ( at the time ) from our
Landlord to put up an HF Antenna. After a bit of looking around, the Roof
over all 3 Apartments was Aluminium. Using an Ohm Meter we found a really
good ( low ohm ) connection between all panels of the roof. My Tuner would
bring the SWR to ZERO on all bands. With the center conductor of the coax
connected to the roof and a really good earth ground, I talked all over the
world for about 3 months. One Hundred Watts only though. I never thought
about High Powered Computer Modeling Software, just started talking.
Currently, only one HF Antenna. Which is 126 foot Multi band Dipole. 63
feet of #12 wire in each direction and fed with 450 ohm Ladder Line. The
Tuner is very happy Except on 15 Meters which the Tuner loves at 100 Watts
but plays Old Sparky at a full Gallon from 2 ... 3-500ZG's All other bands
are Fine Business. My suggestion would be to Hang some wire in the air and
see how it talks. Also, as someone has already suggested, A good Vertical
in the middle of such a good Counterpoise as the Pool Enclosure, would
assure some really good DX Contacts. I have talked all around the world on
antenna's that the Computer Software did not seem too happy with. What I am
trying to say is, like the Nike Slogan ... " Just Do It ! " Still wishing
that we had not gotten a house..... That Humongous Aluminium Roof would
have been Great with an Elevated Vertical sitting in the middle of it
as it's Ground, Counterpoise.......*
*                                                              73 to all
cul de Wade/KJ4WS*