[TenTec] Model 238C Tuner Questions

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Wed Oct 17 04:03:21 EDT 2012

Jim,

Those are important points of clarification that you raise!! I
frequently hear folk commending ladderline-feed for a multiband doublet
on the basis that "ladderline handles high SWR much better than coax" -
that tells me there is still much misunderstanding about the fundamental
causes of loss in HF transmission lines.

I would add just one thought to what you've explained:

A typical multiband doublet might exhibit feedpoint impedances anywhere
from 40 Ohms to 4000 Ohms depending on the band. To minimise SWR
excursions across the bands we would want to choose a transmission line
characteristic impedance that is the geometric mean of those figures:
Zo=SQRT(40*4000)=400Ohms. Choosing a commercial ladderline would limit
the SWR to around 10:1 at worst; whereas using 50Ohm coax we would have
1.25:1 at one extreme and 80:1 at the other.

So, not only does the high impedance line benefit from flowing lower
current for a given power level, it can also minimise the worst-case SWR
experienced.

73,
Steve G3TXQ