[TenTec] Station power supply??

Dennis R Baumgarte ae2ee at rochester.rr.com
Mon Sep 3 13:33:37 EDT 2012

On 09/03/2012 13:09, denton wrote:
> A bit off topic but...
> I am thinking of revamping my station's power supply setup.
>
> I have an Orion, Omni VII, 2 dual band uhf/vhf rigs and assorted item
> that use 13.8 vdc for running and/or charging.
> I currently have 2-Astron RS-35M and 1 20  amp Astron power supplies.
>
> I also am running a 3000 watt ups with a ton of backup batteries....this
> feeds just about everything in the shack.
>
> What I am thinking of doing is eliminating the above Astrons, getting a
> 50 amp plus power strip to fire the station and various sundires, or
> getting a series of switching power supplies.
>
> Qth is very quiet on man made noise.
>
> I am aiming for efficiency, with no rfi from power supply setups, from
> what I have read, the switchers are very efficient, but still generate a
> bit of rf hash....I might be wrong on this.
>
> Any suggestions or observations?
>
> Thanks in advance de Denton, WB7TDG

	I would keep both RS-35 sell the  20 amp and still stay away from
switching power supplies. Using one 50 amp power supply is not a good
idea;for if it goes down then your out better to have 2 strips running
with the 30 amp supplies than just the one. If one goes down you still
can run sum of your equipment and be on the air.

Dennis AE2EE