[TenTec] Station power supply??

Chuck N4XS chuck at n4xs.com
Tue Sep 4 08:42:01 EDT 2012

There seem to be pros and cons to every power supply choice. The linear
supplies are not very efficient, and use a lot of power just idling,
particularly the big ones. Switching supplies are more efficient but can add
RF noise. I generally get along fine with switchers, but the most annoying
noise for me is fan noise. I bought an MFJ 75-amp supply with lots of nice
features but the fan is much too loud and runs all the time. I considered
relocating it to the other side of the wall or building a soundproof
enclosure so I wouldn't have to listen to it. Someday I may look for a
quieter replacement fan. I have an Icom switcher with a quieter fan, but it
cycles on and off, and even though I am half deaf, it still bothers me.
Right now I am using an Alinco DM-330 which is pretty quiet and efficient. I
don't notice any bothersome RF noise from it, but I do have lots of toroids
on my AC power lines, DC station wiring, and antenna cables.