[TenTec] Station power supply??

Richards jruing at ameritech.net
Wed Sep 5 14:45:16 EDT 2012

On 9/5/2012 12:02 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
 > What they have done RIGHT is to build power supplies
 > that do NOT REQUIRE that V- be bonded to the chassis
 > to work properly,

SIDEBAR QUESTION --

	Is this notion of bonding the V- to chassis in any way
	related one could get shocked when touching the
	chassis of an old Halicrafters tube sets?

Observation:

[I am still taking Electronics 101.   But I remember the
time I got stung touching a hot chassis.}

I would have thought a serious concept like grounding stuff would be so
important, it would be codified in a consistent set of rules even rookie
operators could apply and follow.   Also, I would have thought the
product manufacturers would be on one track, with consistent
instructions and consistency in the gear.

But... NOOooo...  that would be too easy!   Consider, f'rinstance, this
topic of grounding power supply chassis.   Nearly every rig needs a
power supply.   Nearly every instruction manual says to ground each
chassis to the other ones, and to a stick in the mud.  Even TenTec says
to do that in my transceiver user manual.

OK... but then there is no ground lug on my TT 963 power supply.   There
is no ground lug on 2 of my Astron power supplies.  There is no ground
lug on my TT receiver, and similarly no ground lug on most of of my
station accessories.  And yet they all have AC or DC power.

Some guys say to wire the green wire to the chassis (which I somehow
get)  but then other guys debate wiring the negative to chassis (which I
don't get, because I remember the sting of my old radio years ago).
Some advocate adding a ground lug to the power supply chassis - but the
manufacturer did not.

And then TenTec service told me not to ground ANY of it unless I have a
specific problem to solve, which just a little contradicts what it says
in the instruction manual.  Some guys have grounding bars across the
back of their desks.  Others don't have anything.  One would have
thought, if all these things are supposed to work together, there would
be a common way of doing it.  Heck, now you guys say even Astron is
inconsistent over time - and on the same model supply, too.   And now we
are all wrangling over different rules and approaches to it.

What's a mother to do?