[TenTec] qrp

Sat Sep 8 11:32:57 EDT 2012

Although I'm fortunate to have space to put up antennas and no SD
restrictions, I've found that "wire in the air" works.  Be it a W shape, a Z
shape, L shape or an O shape or what ever you can support.  No one said it
has to be straight, in the clear and up near the clouds.  Mine, 256 ft long
end to end, center fed with a balanced feed line of the window line material
from The Wireman, and fed from a home brew real balanced tuner, not a balun
type.  The wire antennas are 55 ft above ground, supported at the center by
3 ft steel stand-off arms from the tower.  The ends are ~25 ft above ground
level.  One is broadside E & W and the other is broadside N & S.  I find
very little interaction between the two antennas with this arrangement.  At
the same time, I find that mutual coupling between antennas can be
problematic.

Now if you have specifics as to direction then of course height and position
has dramatic effects.  Lower antennas, less than 1/4 wavelength in height do
produce stronger signals close in.  For DX work, antennas approaching 1/2
wavelength in height are preferable but won't serve well for close in work.

As to station height, again fortunate that I'm 1850 ft ASL and more
importantly, some 500 ft above average terrain out to 35 miles.

73
Bob, K4TAX