[TenTec] Resolved: Omni 6+ Opt 3 problems

N6QW n6qw at jessystems.com
Sun Sep 16 13:31:27 EDT 2012

Thanks to all who responded. The problem is fixed and here is why.

The manual I have is for the Omni VI and it is silent about once you get the
Choose on the display you must push in 1 2 or 3 on the keypad to select the
sub-menus. This was a change when the factory installed the Opt 3. When I
bought the radio direct from TT there was an addendum document that explains
you must select one of the sub-menus --in this case it is menu 1. [Somehow I
missed reading the detail in that document.]

Once you select 1 then turning the tuning knob will pass you through the
selections (or repeatedly pressing the enter key) until you get to the clock
and first you must select whether the clock is on or off (up /down keys) and
if you choose "on" simply enter the correct time via the keypad. Press lock
twice and the radio will return to normal and the clock will work.

The keying function is also set in the menu 1 -- when I reset it --it went
to "off" the default. The proper selection is LCO and with the up/down key
you can select for K1 to operate by selecting LOC on.

Mike Bryce also had a great suggestion about the connectors -- the radio had
not been used for several years and so that too should be done.

Thanks to all who replied -- the time is now correct and the relay works.

The good news is I didn't touch anything in the radio. I did learn how K1
works and I did learn how to set things in the menu -- plus I had quite a
few nice emails from some very helpful hams!

73's
Pete N6QW