[TenTec] Computer Headset Secured -- Now What?

Paul K. hglent at frii.com
Wed Apr 3 17:22:28 EDT 2013

I guess I was the one that kind of got this thread going, so I figure I
should let you all know how I solved the problem.  Originally I asked
about low level headphone volume on the Orion.  You all contributed
advice and good answers.  So I did some additional learning and solved
the problem.

I bought a pair of the cheep China headphones. (Cheep is better in this
case.)   I also bought two 32 ohm elements with 300Hz to 3000 Hz band
width, (Digi-Key 423-1037-ND).  The headphones came in a few days ago.
I took them apart, and put the new elements in.  The level of the audio
is now more what I expected, and the roll off takes care of the high end
noises and scratchiness.  Typical communication quality audio. Much
easier listening now.

Admittedly, the China headphone are cheaply made, and definitely not the
most comfortable but the audio is what I wanted.  Some day I will
stumble onto a decent pair of ear pads to improve the comfort.

So, cheep is better, and learning something from the advice is even more
better.

Yes, the headphones came warped just as you all said.  No paper work or
instructions, and many layers of tape that defied destruction by our
Post Office.

Thanks for all the help.

Paul K.
WA0BAG