[TenTec] A Fun Day with Ham Radio, and a Question about Portable Operating

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sat Apr 13 11:29:25 EDT 2013

Bob,

That's a pretty heavy looking antenna setup that N6CC is showing.

I have been running portable all of my ham life, including contesting from portable.
As I said in a previous post, nothing on the market beats the older Argonauts (505/509/515) for having multiple bands, a good RX, and VERY LOW battery drain on RX.

But for antennas, especially for backpacking, stuff like N6CC shows is still too heavy for certain types of portable operations.
Especially because he needs a heavier pole or mast to support the heavier antenna.  Wouldn't want to tote that up a mountain.

Last year I developed an antenna that is pretty unique and extremely lightweight.
This year I have even improved on it, but it's not quite finished.

My antenna from last year (it's Version 2) weighs just 335 gr. (12 oz.) including 36 ft. of coax.
The latest one (Version 3) weighs just 360 gr. (13 oz.) including 34 ft. of coax.

Version 2 works on 40/20/15/10m WITHOUT an antenna tuner.
Version 3 works on 40/20/15/10/6m WITHOUT an antenna tuner, AND on 17/12m with an antenna tuner.
Of course you can load it on 30m with a tuner, but the SWR is so high that the loss in the balun is excessive.

Version 3 is still being improved but it is already quite usable as is.

Take either of these and a lightweight fiberglass pole, extend the legs with lightweight fishing line (PFDF Monofil), tied as an inverted-V to ground stakes, and you are on the air on at least 4 bands.

Ver. 2:  http://www.dj0ip.de/off-center-fed-dipole/40m-ocf-1/version-2/
Ver. 3:  http://www.dj0ip.de/off-center-fed-dipole/40m-ocf-1/version-3/

I owned an FT-817 for just 2 weeks when they first came out.
It just wasn't my cup of tea.  The RX was totally crap, especially on 40m with a decent antenna, and 40m is my favorite band.  I had trouble adjusting the controls when mobiling from my RV while my XYL was driving - the knobs were just too tiny.  And the menu sucks.
I guess it depends on what your expectation level is for the radio. Mine is somewhat higher than what that radio offers.  It may be OK when operating just for fun, but I use my QRP stuff in contests and sometimes even win.

73
Rick, DJ0IP