[TenTec] A Fun Day with Ham Radio, and a Question about Portable Operating

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Sat Apr 13 13:08:04 EDT 2013

Jeff, right, I forgot all about the K2, and I even owned a couple of them.
I never used them for operations out of a tent and from motorbike battery,
though.
I guess I should have!

Mike, the IC-703 draws 1.2A on receive at 13.8v.  TERRIBLE.
But if you run it off of 9.6v, it only needs about 400mA.
Still a bit high.

Let me put current drain into perspective:  try to run an entire Field Day
Contest (24 hours) off of a motorbike battery.
I have done it several times.  I have always run out of power shortly before
the end of the contest.  Once, using the Argonaut 509, the power ran out 30
minutes before the end of the contest.  I still managed to take "First place
overall in European" in QRP class.  I was operating on a mountain in
Liechtenstein (HB0).  I simply rolled down the hill with the bike to start
it.  If the battery had died a couple hours earlier, I surely would not have
won the contest.

100mA extra receive current is going to deplete the battery an hour or two
earlier.
It's "that" critical.

73
Rick, DJ0IP