[TenTec] A Fun Day with Ham Radio, and a Question about Portable Operating

Jack Emerson w4tje at wiredog.com
Tue Apr 16 20:21:09 EDT 2013

Hey Barry and all that replied to my posts. I really appreciate everyone's
input. Yes, my preference is for a 100w radio. And in fact the FT 857 is
what N4LA and I used for our SOTA adventure. It worked fb, and even though
we never ran ran it above 25w, we found that preferable to 5 or 10w.
The weight of the radio is not an issue with me. Even current drain is not
as much of a factor as I had thought initially, and that's because I don't
picture myself operating portable for anymore than 3 hours.
Todd's FT 857 and his lithium ion battery pack worked well during the 2.5
hours or so that we were on the air, and the battery pack had a lot of life
left in it when we shut down.
For some years now, I have preferred Ten Tec equipment, and I think the
Eagle would be a good fit as far as what I'm looking for, except the price.
It's one thing to fall or slip and break your portable radio. It's another
thing if it's a $2k radio that you break. So in this case, for this purpose,
at the end of the day I will probably end up going with a used FT 857.
Though I'm not into qrp, if I do go that route, my choice will likely be the
new Argonaut.
And Barry, yes, I did actually hike the mtn. Don't believe what Todd said on
his website, it's all lies, lies, lies. He was suffering from altitude
sickness.

73 de Jack W4TJE