[TenTec] Tuning Amp on 17 meters

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Thu Apr 18 14:37:36 EDT 2013

Jim,

You are 100% correct but in a case like James has, I think you are kind of
splitting hairs.

"If" the antenna is a monoband and fairly close to being 50 Ohms resistive,
there won't be much transformation due to the transmission line, and the
resonance frequency measured will be very close to accurate.

Specifically, in the case of the RigExpert analyzers (which James also has),
I set mine to Z=R||+jX, find the two points where the Xp changes directions
and take the median.  This is very close to the true resonance frequency of
the antenna.  It is, as measured on 4 different antennas here, usually 100
to 300 kHz away from the point of minimum SWR.

If I had a significant mismatch, then the transmission line would indeed
induce a significant transformation, but based on dipoles cut and trimmed to
the theoretical calculated length, (or James' vertical), these aren't going
to be very far off, are they?

My basic point to James was on his monoband vertical, measuring in another
mode would give him a more accurate indicate of resonance than SWR.

Hw?

Rick, DJ0IP