[TenTec] Tuning Amp on 17 meters

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Apr 19 11:51:02 EDT 2013

On 4/19/2013 1:09 AM, Richards wrote:
> I suspect most hams want an easy, quick solution they can wrap their
> heads around.  Impedance, reactance, inductance, capacitance, SWR,
> return loss, and all that jazz is just too blamed complicated for most
> hams, who often lack formal education in physics and electronic theory.

You're an attorney, right?  Did you learn what you needed to do that in
an easy, quick solution that you could wrap your head around? :)

There is a lot to learn, and it takes serious time and effort to learn
it.  You didn't learn law by skimming "an article" about it, you studied
it for a LONG time.  The ARRL Handbook, and the ARRL Antenna Book are
pretty good places to learn how radio, antennas, and transmission lines
work, but you have to STUDY this stuff. You don't learn it by throwing
up your hands and saying "I lack formal education."  All over the world,
millions of people have learned this stuff without formal education, by
digging into it and studying on their own.

73, Jim K9YC