[TenTec] Built in SWR meter bannans

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Tue Apr 23 20:22:59 EDT 2013

Rick wrote:

>I had so much trouble burning up baluns back in the 80s that I have
>switched to using only Teflon insulated wire for my chokes and baluns.

Baluns don't normally burn up because the insulation isn't
adequate.  Rather, they burn up because the common-mode current is
higher than the core size and mix can tolerate (or, much less
frequently, because the wire used is too small).  Overheating is a
symptom of too small a core, the wrong ferrite mix for the
frequency(ies), too few turns, and/or too small a wire gauge.  There
is lots of information on the web.  When in doubt, use a bigger core
(after making sure you are using the right ferrite mix for the
frequency, sufficiently heavy wire to handle the power, and enough
turns to get the common-mode impedance that you need).

Best regards,

Charles