[TenTec] OT: Openwire/Window Line and Bad Wx

Thu Aug 1 21:55:54 EDT 2013

First of all the 5 dB loss stated is at 26 MHz and not 3.9 MHz.  There is a
difference.  And with 1 S unit being 6 dB, I seriously doubt you'd notice
the difference.  If you believe you do, just tweak the RF Gain up a bit.

My thoughts on 600 ohm vs. 450 ohm vs. 300 ohm feeding an almost resonant
dipole, the dipole impedance being 30 ft above ground at 3.9 MHz would be
about 30 ohms.  For 600 ohm line the SWR on the line would be 20:1, for 450
ohm line the SWR would be 15:1 and for 300 ohm about 10:1.    There are
several published charts that depict the added loss due to SWR for various
values of matched loss in lines.

For a line having a matched loss of 1 dB per 100 ft, the added loss with a
20:1 SWR would be an additional 4.5 dB, for the 450 ohm line having a loss
of 1 dB per 100 ft the added lose due to SWR would be 3.5 dB and for 300 ohm
line with a loss of 1 dB per 100 ft the added loss due to SWR would be 2.5
dB.  I would seem then that 300 ohm line would be more efficient than 600
ohm line for the same parameters.

The general point being, open wire line will have a much lower loss
operating with a high SWR as compared to coaxial cable with the same
mismatch condition.  Of course in the example used, the 30 ohm feed Z and 50
ohm cable would have a SWR of only 1.6:1.  Typically at 4 MHz about any coax
one chooses will have less than 1 dB of loss per 100 ft when matched.  And
at 30 MHz again coax loss for 100 ft of  RG-58 would be some 3 dB when
matched.  And RG-8 or RG-213 will have 0.3 dB of loss per 100 ft at 4 MHz
and 1 dB of loss per 100 ft at 30 MHz.

I realize that we'd like to eak out every dB we can, but in the end, it
makes little to no difference on HF.

73
Bob, K4TAX