[TenTec] OT: Openwire/Window Line and Bad Wx

Sat Aug 3 09:37:10 EDT 2013

Steve et al:

I'm not saying that loss does or does not change with the vinyl type window
line between wet and dry.  I do agree with your results in that loss does
increase with a wet line as opposed to a dry line.  I also agree that loss
is greater per unit at 28 MHz vs. the same length of line at 1.8 MHz or 3.8
MHz regardless if the line is wet or dry.

My point, with today's receivers, in most all cases the atmospheric noise
and man made noise will mask any receiver internal noise and will easily
overtake any loss in the transmission line.  However, the loss in the
transmission line will affect the NF of the receiver, which on HF is of
little significance.   In many cases, we worry about 2 or 3 dB loss in the
transmission line but run the attenuator of 10 dB to 20 dB at the input of
the receiver.  Now on transmit, that point makes a different in the power
arriving at the antenna.  Again, typically less than 1 S unit on the other
end.  To that point, most of the time I run the Argonaut VI at 10 watts and
can work about any station I hear, regardless of line loss.

True open wire line, by definition, is two conductors supported only at the
source end and the termination end, drawn taught, and without any spacers.
This of course is a real challenge to make work reliably in practice unless
one uses large conductors and spaced at 6" to 18" and used at lower
frequencies and typically with very high power in the near megawatt range.
We used this feed line approach in some of the commercial SW stations to
which I attended.  Some of these feed lines were each several thousand feet
in length.  All of this is far beyond the scope of most ham installations.

I would like to see more data on dry line vs. wet line from natural cause as
opposed to "wetted" line.  I use the vinyl covered line with 66% of the  web
spacers removed.  {Remove 2, leave 1, remove 2, leave 1.} I see little
change from wet to dry on HF.

73
Bob, K4TAX