[TenTec] Argo V amp keying

Rick - DJ0IP / NJ0IP Rick at DJ0IP.de
Fri Aug 9 01:47:55 EDT 2013

Once again I would CAUTION people here.  You need to understand what you are
doing.

The suggestion will work fine with most QSK amps which have very fast vacuum
relays, but this is definitely not a catch-all solution.  It works with the
Centurion, but you can NOT do this with most linear amplifiers on the
market.  Certainly not with any of the transistorized linears currently on
the market ( exceptions: probably works with the Ten-Tec Hercules, and
'possibly' with the Elecraft KPA-500 {Jim ?} ).

The VERY best solution is to do it the safe way and build or buy an EXTERNAL
keyer that supplies adjustable timing for keying both the amplifier and the
transceiver (in that order, but with different timing).  That way nothing
can go wrong, no matter what, and it requires NO mod to any equipment you
may have.  You just can't use the transceiver's internal keyer when running
an amp.

I built my own time-sequence keyer nearly 35 years ago.
As a backup, when I bought my Eagle nearly 3 years ago, I also purchased an
MFJ Model 475 Millennium Keyer.
I chose this keyer because it has all of the timing parameters adjustable
from the front panel (albeit thru software menu, but easy to use).  You
don't even have to have a computer connected.

Some of the WINKEYs may do this too, but as far as I am informed, you need a
computer attached to them to adjust them (even the keying speed), and that
does not appeal to me, other than as a point solution for keying a contest
setup.

73
Rick, DJ0IP