[TenTec] Wet ladderline

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Aug 9 19:55:49 EDT 2013

Private email.

Quoting from your webpage, "I tried various methods to measure changes
in loss, including driving the line with a known power and measuring
changes in the current delivered to a load resistor. However, I found
that the most repeatable method was to measure the line loss directly as
an S21 measurement in a 50Ω system using a VNA2180 2-port Vector Network
Analyser; then, having measured the input impedance of the line, to
correct the S21 figure for the source mismatch loss."

It would appear from this that you did not correct for the excess
attenuation due to the mismatch of the load to the line. Or did you make
that correction and not notate it? That would certainly account for the
difference. Remember that Dan's parameters are for a matched line, and
are the same that Times uses to describe their cables.

Several years ago, I made point-by-point measurements of more than 1,000
ft of some very good RG8 that is rather similar to LMR400, except that
it has a solid copper center and a plenum-rated dielectric and outer
jacket. That long length is gone, but I just made up a couple of 135 ft
lengths for Field Day. I should measure those with my VNWA (I have that
German one, very nice) and feed the data to Zplots and see how it
correlates.

73, Jim K9YC