[TenTec] Orion, Eagle, and OMNI 7

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Tue Aug 13 10:31:35 EDT 2013

For substantial selective hearing loss, or for detailed adjustment and
compensation over the useful frequency range, I would consider a multi
band graphic equalizer to tailor the audio to your needs.

The Omni VII, for example, has a limited two band EQ setting, which is
adequate for my needs  (I set it on FLAT/0 anyway), but for greater
detail and more specific frequency adjustment, I would probably use a
12,  15 or more band EQ to compensate the audio.  Simple to deploy if
you are using amplified speakers such as computer speakers or the
popular small nearfield studio monitors.   I don't use one on ham radio,
but my wife and I enjoy listening to old time radio programs, and we
tailor the audio for best presentation of the speech frequency spectrum,
and it makes a substantial difference.   She has partial hearing loss,
so it really helps to tune the audio to her limitations.