[TenTec] Omni C - Interesting MOD found

Joe galicic at comcast.net
Thu Aug 29 09:47:45 EDT 2013

I just picked up an Omni C station with power supply and remote VFO. The
receiver is amazing!  The AGC works really well and appears to have some
hang characteristics but without the pops on strong signals.

While going through the Omni I found a very interesting mod.  It appears
to be an AGC mod.  It consists of a home brew circuit on a perf board
which is double side taped to the one of the IF cans. The mod
essentially inserts the AGC detector circuitry of the Corsair into the
Omni IF-AGC board.  This is a very extensive mod with lots of wiring
changes and components either removed or lifted from the original Omni
IF-AGC board.

I was fortunate enough to receive original owners manuals with this
station.  The Omni owners manual has a pages added with hand written
notes and a schematic of the Corsair IF-AF board with yellow highlighter
depicting the mod that was made in the Omni.

None of the documentation actually states what was actually done however
it claims to be the "W3OG board" ?

Does this mod ring a bell with anyone?  Just thought I'd throw it out on
this list for comment. I've also written to W3OG in hopes of learning
more about this.

Thanks,

Joe
KB3KJS