[TenTec] Explanations of the Different Types of Filtering on Radios

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Aug 30 16:51:37 EDT 2013

On 8/30/2013 7:33 AM, Will Jones wrote:
> "I have an I.F. shift on my radio and I have read about what it does but don't really understand "what" it does. Also how does it compare to the other features I see on radios such as PBT, notch filters, RIT, DSP noise reduction and noise blankers.

The next meeting would be a great opportunity for someone to bring his
copy of the ARRL Handbook, and open it to Chapter 12, which is about
receivers. It talks about the superheterodyne principle, the advantages
of using it, flitering in the IF, multiple IFs, the bandwidth of various
signals, and so on.

One of the best things we can do with a new ham, or with any ham who
wants to learn, is point them to the Handbook.

73, Jim K9YC