[TenTec] WARNING OFF TOPIC message regarding a backup headset discount

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Dec 6 07:52:39 EST 2013

On 12/2/2013 1:24 PM, Richards wrote:

> But having just repaired my friend's CM-500 boom mic last week, and
> after getting tired of loaning my backup Shure and AudioTechnica cans
> to the contest group (twice - each time during the CQ WW 160 contest)
> - you might consider an inexpensive backup set, for your shack.

Two thoughts. First, the Yamaha and Koss headsets are 20% of the cost of
a Heil headset, they sound better, and are more comfortable. You can buy
four and still be ahead of the game. I bought three Yamaha headsets 3-4
years ago, and retired one of them whose cable broke. Yes, I could have
paid $250 for a nice Sennheiser headset and could have bought a
replacement cable for $50. But I can buy a Yamaha or Koss for $45. Duh!

Second, there is nothing to be gained from "rah-rah" and "my team is
better than your team" brand loyalty, and I discount the comments of
those whose brains are biased in that direction. i didn't discover the
Yamaha headsets -- W6XU did -- but I've recommended them to many others.

73, Jim K9YC