[TenTec] Yamaha CM500 headset and Orion II

Richards jrichards at k8jhr.com
Tue Dec 17 00:34:56 EST 2013

> Lessee -- I'm an EE by training and profession, and you're a retired
> attorney.

	Well.. calling me names does not make you right!    ;-)

	I KNEW it... I bet my wife you would pit your credentials
	against mine to win the debate!  In college debate ...
	this is called the "argument from authority."

	Seems this is AMATEUR radio... but to some, there is
	little room for amateurs.  Funny, the guys at QST Magazine
	appear moderately qualified, having tested and played
	with more than a few rigs over the years, and they
	thought it made sense.  If guess if I am wrong,
	they are, too!

	Let's let the crowd consider both views, against their
	own experience, and decide the matter for themselves.
	Fellers... you be the Judge!

Last I heard, you hadn't done extensive study of electronics
> to catch up. I wouldn't consider give legal advice -- heck, even though
> I know a helluva lot about acoustics, I'm not trained in that field and
> know my limitations, so I don't give advice on acoustics either.

	There you go calling me names!   Besides,  only
	lawyers can plead ignorance of the law!  Worse, you
	keep throwing that in my face... it is irrelevant to
	the discussion.

   	You seem kinda worried - if I am so obviously wrong,
	you would not base your case on your credentials - you
	would win the debate strictly on the science.

One does not need an EE degree to see I am right.

Here is my bottom line empirical scientific observation:

	When I use that type of microphone on my Omni VII, the
	mic is on full blast with the lowest possible AF-GAIN
	setting - and the ALC light comes on full time.  The
	user manual says to lower AF-GAIN until the ALC light
	only lights on voice peaks.  But with these condenser
	mics, my ALC light stays on all the time, and turning
	AF-GAIN lower simply turns it off, entirely  - so that
	sells it for me.

	Using the attenuator pad, I can set AF-GAIN to 35%-40%,
	and I have room to adjust it and down so that ALC lights
	only on voice peaks.  Voila - the solution.  Otherwise
	the mic is on full blast at 1 or 2 percent, and I
	cannot lower it to adjust for voice peaks without
	turning it off altogether.

I DON'T NEED AN EE DEGREE TO SEE THIS.

		Bottom line - I have a lot more headroom to
		adjust mic input volume with the pad than
		without.

	Moreover, I concede YOUR mileage may vary... perhaps
	you have a softer speaking voice, so you don't have
	to set AF-GAIN so low, but that is my story and I am
	sticking to it.    ;-)

Happy days.  (In spite of the above, I actually have a huge respect for
you and your credentials!   I am STILL reading several of your articles
and trying to get it.  Serious contributions to the hobby.)